In order to provide for the general welfare of all persons using the Waterford Public Library, and
In order to provide for the safety and protection of the children using the Waterford Public Library, and
In order to prevent undue disruption of normal library activities, the following regulations are adopted as policy at the Waterford Public Library – effective on the date indicated below:
1. All children age five years or younger shall, at all times, be attended and supervised by a responsible person, that is an adult or mature adolescent.
2. Children who are six through eight years old may be left unattended in the children’s department for up to (but not to exceed) ½ hour – if the responsible party is on the premises and notifies the children’s or reference librarian of his/her whereabouts.
3. Persons attending children who have special needs and/or problems shall at no time leave those children unattended. This includes (but is not limited to) children with physical, mental or emotional problems; disruptive behavior, lack of adequate attention span, incomplete social skills.
4. Children eight years old and above may use the library unattended. However, rules of conduct and behavior applying to all patrons also apply to these patrons.
5. The children’s librarian will supervise children attending preschool story hours. However, the parent or sitter must be present at the end of story time.
6. The Waterford Public Library staff assumes no responsibility for children left unattended on the library premises.
7. Any child left unattended will be considered deserted, and the proper authorities will be notified.
Adopted by the Waterford Public Library Board
July 10, 2001, Revised February 10, 2004